Friday, November 12, 2010

Lost in the Clouds

















I had fun playing with the word cloud generators. I've used Wordle before and Debbie and I have introduced it to staff at Tech Time. I find it easy to use, I like the many choices of font and color, I like the randomize feature and the layout selections. I used Wordle to create a cloud of my library's mission statement and really like the way it came out. I might use something like this as a cover for my annual report, or as a sign near the entrance the library.














Next I tried Word it Out. For my test run, I created a cloud for our student volunteer Tech Squad. Word it Out seemed to have fewer options than Wordle, and I missed the layout option of inserting words vertically as well as horizontally. I didn't find the results as appealing.


My attempt at tagxedo failed, since I wasn't able to download the application at home. I would like to try it though, as the shaped clouds looks so professional.
I enjoyed looking through the galleries to see how others are using these tools. I found book reports (Pride and Prejudice and The Outsiders), poetry and autobiographies. There were resumes, state reports and love letters. I found a wordle on bullying that was both effective and gut-wrenching. This is a tool that has many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment